Thursday, March 24, 2011

Settling with Sage Marinated Pork Chops

Remember Oregon Trail? Ok, take that and mix it with Monopoly and Risk and multiply the awesome points times at least 1,000. This equals Settlers of Catan, the most wonderful game I've played since I've discovered the previously mentioned. The goal is to gain victory points by gathering resources to assist you in settling more land. I know your inner nerd is snorting.

Josh and Stephanie were a part of our Catan dinner party. Not only did we have sage marinated pork chops, in replacement of the sheep you gather in the game, but we also celebrated the delicious and intelligent Pi Day. You can guess what day this took place on. I made apple pie and topped it with vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Having our friends over to a relaxing night of dinner and a game truly constitutes as feasting to me. My church has been going through a series on doing life together and hospitality is a part of this. In my mind, eating and hospitality might as well be synonyms.

But, inviting people in to your home can be an overwhelming and time consuming task. On the other hand it's also infectious fun. I'm to the point now when people even mention what they ate for lunch I think about how I could re-make it for dinner one night and then how I can make someone else eat it. If God calls us to be hospitable and to open our homes, if this is truly his heart, then the overwhelming, time consuming part is reduced a ton, because it's for a purpose.

Try it out. See what happens.

Sage Marinated Pork Chops

Sage
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
Pork Chops

I rubbed all the ingredients on to the pork chops until it was mostly covered with black pepper or sage leaves. I pan fried the chops in more olive oil, medium heat. It doesn't take too long to do, 10-15 minutes, so stay close by.

As soon as they were cooked through I cut them in to smaller serving portions, mostly for the look, and fanned them on the plates next to an apple compote and a garlic mashed potato. That's it.


No comments:

Post a Comment